VLC is a portable streamer, encoder, and multimedia player supporting all types of video, audio, and file formats. The free, open-source media player also supports VCDs, DVDs, and various streaming protocols.
If you own a Roku device and want to get VLC, you can’t get VLC on Roku directly because the app isn’t available on the Channel Store. So, how to get VLC on Roku? Here’s a complete guide.
Can I Get VLC Player on Roku?
The official VLC app isn’t available on the Roku Channel Store. Does this mean you can’t install and use the VLC app on your Roku player? Well, there are other ways to access VLC on Roku.
How to Get VLC on Roku using an Alternative Method (Screen Mirroring)
To install VLC on Roku, you need to use the screen mirroring or casting method. To carry out this process, you must possess a second device (smartphone or a computer). Also, don’t forget to enable the screen mirroring feature on your Roku device.
How to Enable Roku Screen Mirroring
Follow the steps below to enable the screen mirroring option on your Roku device –
- Turn on your Roku device and access the home screen by pressing the Home icon on the remote.
- From the Roku home, navigate to Settings.
- Under the Settings option, select System.
- Now, choose the Screen Mirroring option.
- Select Screen mirroring mode and turn it on by selecting the Prompt option or Always Allow.
It is now enabled. You are ready to cast a screen on your Roku-connected TV using the below instructions.
Screen Mirror VLC on Roku from Your Android/ iOS Device
You must install the VLC media player app on your Android or iOS device to efficiently carry out the screen mirroring process.
- On your Android or iOS device, go to the Play Store or App Store.
- Tap the Search feature and type VLC using the virtual keyboard.
- The VLC app will appear on the screen.
- You need to tap the Install or Get button to download the app.
- After installing the app, access the Notification Panel on your Android device and select the Cast icon.
- If you use an iPhone, you must access the Control Centre and tap on the Screen Mirroring option.
- Select your Roku device from the available options.
- After selecting your Roku device, press OK.
- Now, launch the VLC app on your phone and choose a video you want to play.
The VLC player app is now ready to cast on your Roku.
Screen Mirror VLC on Roku from Your Computer (Windows)
Don’t have a smartphone? No problem! You can cast the screen from your computer. Check the steps below.
- Open your Windows computer or laptop and launch a regular web browser.
- Access videolan.org and click the Download VLC option.
- After downloading the VLC app, open it to install it on your computer.
- Now, press and hold Windows and K together and select your Roku device on the Connect window.
- Launch VLC and watch videos on your Roku-connected TV.
Steps to Screen Mirror VLC on Roku from Mac
Here’s how you can cast the VLC app on your Roku device from Mac.
- On your Mac device, select the AirPlay icon.
- Turn On AirPlay and select your Roku device.
- Launch Safari browser and visit www.videolan.org to download the VLC app for Mac.
- Install the app and launch it after installation.
- Now, play any video in the VLC app to cast on Roku.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, the dedicated VLC app isn’t available on the Roku Channel Store. But you can cast or screen mirror VLC on Roku.
Although you can’t get the app directly on your Roku, there’s an alternative method to do it. It is called the screen mirroring method.
You will require a smartphone (Android or iOS) or a computer (Windows or Mac) to cast the screen on your Roku-connected TV.
If you have any queries related to VLC on Roku, you can ask them in the comment section below.