Music Television, commonly known as MTV, is a cable channel used initially to air music videos by TV personalities (Video Jockeys or VJs). This music channel is dedicated to original reality programming targeting youths and young adults in the initial years.
With over 90 million subscribers in the US, MTV is available on numerous Cable, Satellite, IPTV, and Streaming Media devices like Orby TV, DirecTV, Dish Network, Verizon FiOS, AT&T U-verse, Fubo Philo, AT&T TV, Sling TV, YouTube TV, etc.
If you are using a streaming device like Roku, Apple TV, Xbox, FireStick, Android TV, etc., you can also access the MTV channel on your TV. However, to access the MTV channel on your streaming device, you first need to download and install the MTV app and then activate it at mtv.com/activate.
MTV.com/activate: Roku, FireStick, Apple TV & Android TV 
To access the MTV app on a compatible streaming device, you must have an MTV channel subscription through a participating TV Provider. This is important as the MTV activation code will only be verified when you sign in with your TV Provider account credentials.
You can follow the instructions below to activate the MTV channel on various streaming players.
MTV.com Activate on Apple TV
Follow these steps to activate MTV Channel on your Apple TV –
- Open the App Store on your Apple TV.
- Search for the MTV app in the App Store.
- Next, click the Get option to download and install the app on your Apple TV.
- After installation, tap Open to launch the app.
- Inside the app, go to Settings to generate an activation code.
- Once you have the code, visit mtv.com/activate on another device.
- Enter the 7-digit code from your Apple TV and tap the CONTINUE button.
- Then, sign in using your TV provider account credentials.
The MTV app is now active on your Apple TV.
Activate MTV on Android TV
To install & activate the MTV app on your Android TV –
- Navigate to Apps > Google Play Store from the home screen of your Android TV.
- Use the search option in the Play Store to find the MTV app.
- Once found, select the app and press the Install button.
- When installed, tap Open to launch the app.
- Select the Settings option to fetch the unique code and activation URL.
- Open mtv.com/activate using your phone or PC browser.
- Enter the code in the prompted fields and click CONTINUE.
- Next, log in with your TV provider account credentials.
You can then start watching the MTV app on your Android TV.
Let’s discuss how to activate MTV on Roku via mtv.com/activate –
- Go to the home screen of your Roku device.
- Select the Streaming Channels option from the home screen and go to the Search section.
- In the Search section, find and select the MTV app.
- Next, tap the Add Channel button to install the app on Roku.
- After successful installation, press the Go to channel option to launch the app.
- Then, go to the Settings section inside the app to get an activation code.
- Now, navigate to mtv.com/activate on a separate device.
- Enter the 7-digit code shown on your TV and log in using your TV provider details.
You should now be able to watch MTV programming on your Roku TV.
How to Activate MTV on FireStick/ Fire TV
The MTV app is also compatible with the Amazon FireStick streaming platform. Below are instructions on how to activate the channel:
- Power on your Fire TV and go to the Find section.
- Type MTV in the search field and select the app from the search results.
- Press the Get button to install the app.
- Wait for a few seconds to get the app installed on your Fire TV.
- After installation, press Open to launch the MTV app.
- Go to the Settings section and click Sign in to generate an activation code.
- Next, open mtv.com/activate on a computer or mobile device.
- Enter the code and click the CONTINUE button.
- Select your TV provider and sign in with your username and password.
You can now access MTV’s content on your FireStick device.
Xbox gaming consoles (Xbox One and 360) also support the MTV app. Follow the steps below to download and activate MTV on your Xbox-connected TV –
- Go to the Microsoft Store on your Xbox gaming console.
- Install the MTV app from the store.
- Once installed, launch the app to get a 7-digit activation code.
- Open mtv.com/activate on another device (phone or PC).
- Enter the code displayed on your TV and click the CONTINUE button.
- Sign in using your TV Provider credentials to verify your subscription.
Now return to your Xbox device, and stream your favorite shows on the MTV app.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the activation code has expired or not working, tap on the Regenerate Code option in the Settings section to receive a new activation code.
Unfortunately, No!, Due to rights restrictions, access to MTV shows is limited only to customers residing within the United States.
Yes, all MTV videos are available with closed captioning. If you have any other questions regarding closed captions, visit media.viacom.com/accessibility.
If you don’t remember your service provider username and password, you can reach your TV provider to retrieve them.
If your TV service provider is not listed, you need not worry, as MTV keeps working hard to get all TV providers to participate in MTV programming.