Music Television, commonly known as MTV, is a music cable channel used initially to air music videos by TV personalities (Video Jockeys or VJs). The channel focused on music dedicated to original reality programming targeting youths and young adults in the initial years.
With over 90 million subscribers in the US, MTV is available on numerous Cable, Satellite, IPTV, and Streaming Media devices like Orby TV, DirecTV, Dish Network, Verizon FiOS, AT&T U-verse, Fubo Philo, AT&T TV, Sling TV, YouTube TV, etc.
If you are using any streaming players like Roku, Apple, Xbox, Fire TV, Android TV, etc., you can easily access the MTV channel. However, to access the MTV channel on your streaming device, you first need to download and install the app and then activate it at mtv.com/activate.
You can follow the instructions for activating the MTV channel for various streaming players below.
Guide to Activate MTV at mtv.com/activate
To access the MTV app on a supported streaming device, you must have the MTV channel subscription through a participating TV Provider. This is important as the MTV activation code will only be verified when you sign in with your TV Provider account credentials.
Activate MTV App on Apple TV
- Launch the App Store app from the Home screen of your Apple TV.
- Search and select the MTV app in the App Store.
- Next, click the Get option to download and install the MTV app on your Apple TV.
- After installation, tap the Open option to launch the app.
- Go to the Settings section in the app to receive the activation code.
- Once you have the code, open a browser on another device and visit mtv.com/activate.
- This will direct you to the MTV activation page.
- Enter the code in the given field on the activation page and tap the CONTINUE button.
- Then, sign in using your TV provider account credentials.
- The MTV app will be connected to your Apple TV.
Activate MTV App on Android TV
- Navigate to Apps > Google Play Store app from the home screen of your Android TV.
- Use the search option in the Play Store app to find the MTV app.
- Once found, select the MTV app and press the Install button.
- The app will begin installing on your Android TV.
- When installed, tap the Open option to launch the app and select the Settings option.
- Fetch the unique code and activation URL (mtv.com/activate) from the Settings section on your screen.
- Now, open this activation link using your phone or PC browser to get to the MTV activation page.
- Enter the code in the prompted fields on the activation page and click CONTINUE.
- Next, log in with your TV provider account credentials.
- You can then start watching the MTV app on your Android TV.
Activate MTV Channel on Roku
- Navigate to the home screen of your Roku device.
- Select the Streaming Channels option from the home screen and go to the Search section.
- In the Search section, find and select the MTV app.
- Next, tap the +Add Channel button to install the app.
- When successfully installed, press the Go to channel option to launch the app.
- Then, go to the Settings section to fetch the activation code.
- Now, using a pc or mobile web browser, navigate to mtv.com/activate.
- Enter the activation code in the provided field on the activation page and log in with your TV provider.
- You should then be able to watch MTV programming on your Roku TV.
Activate MTV App on Amazon Fire TV
- Open the Find section from the home screen of your Fire TV.
- Type “MTV” in the search field of the Find section and confirm it.
- Select the MTV app and tap the Get option.
- Wait for the app to get installed on your Fire TV.
- After installation, tap Open to launch the MTV app and go to the Settings section.
- In the Settings section, fetch the activation code.
- Next, on your mobile phone or pc browser, navigate to mtv.com/activate.
- Enter the code in the given field and tap the CONTINUE button.
- Then, you can sign in using your TV provider credentials.
- After that, please get back to your Fire TV and start watching MTV content.
Activate MTV App on Xbox
- Go to the home screen of your Xbox gaming console.
- Launch the Microsoft Store to find the MTV app.
- Once found, select the app and install it on your Xbox.
- After installation, launch the app to receive the activation code.
- Once you have the activation code, open a browser on your second device.
- Next, access the MTV activation link (mtv.com/activate).
- Enter the code in the provided field and click the CONTINUE button.
- Then, sign in using your TV Provider account username and password.
- Once logged in, your MTV app activation will be verified.
- You will then access the MTV app on your Xbox gaming console.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the activation code has expired or not working, tap on the Regenerate Code option in the settings section to receive a new activation code.
Unfortunately, No!, Due to rights restrictions, access to videos for MTV shows is limited only to customers residing within the United States.
Yes, all MTV videos are available with closed captioning. If you have any other questions regarding closed captions, visit media.viacom.com/accessibility.
If you don’t remember your MTV account username and password, you can reach your TV provider to retrieve them.
If your TV service provider is not listed, need not worry, as MTV keeps working hard to get all TV providers to participate in MTV programming.