September 13, 2021 / Activate Guide
Plex Not Working On Roku; How to Fix?
Made by Plex, Inc., Plex is a worldwide popular streaming media service and client-server media player platform. The Plex Media Server is known for organizing audio, video, and photos from the collections of user and online services, and streams them to the players. Both official clients and unofficial third-party clients function on mobile devices, streaming boxes, web applications, and smart TVs. While Plex is reliable and ensures uninterrupted service, if you ever find that Plex is not working on Roku, you can follow the workarounds provided below to overcome the issues.
Guide to Fix “Plex Not Working On Roku” Issue
Check Your Wi-Fi Network
The first thing you will need to check is whether the Wi-Fi network of your home or office to which the Roku device is connected is functioning properly or not. Make sure that you have connected your smart device to the Wi-Fi SSID and verify if the device is able to access the internet using this network. However, if you are unable todo so, it means that there is a Plex Roku problem. In such a case, you will first need to address an issue with your internet network.
NOTE: Sometimes the problem can also occur when your Plex app is not allowed for insecure connections. So, you will need to ensure that you have allowed the permission. For this, you will need to go to the Advanced Options of your Plex Roku application and enable the “Allow Insecure Connections” option to Always. As you will enable this option, it will resolve the streaming issues with your Plex Roku app. In case this doesn’t help you overcome the problem, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the Plex Roku app.
Check Plex Buffering Problems on Your Roku Device
If you are seeing buffering issues with your Plex app on your Roku device, you can follow the below-mentioned suggestions to resolve them.
- To begin with, you will first need to go to the settings section of your Roku Plex application.
- Once you get to the settings section of your Plex app, you will need to select the Show Advanced
- In the Show Advanced section, you will need to navigate to the Server In the Server section, you will need to select the Transcoder option and then go to the Use hardware acceleration option.
- If you wish to disable Direct Play, you will need to go to the Settings section and select the toggle option next to Direct Play to disable it.
- Another way to disable Direct Play is by going to the settings section of your Plex app located at the top of the page. Then, in the settings section, simply click on the Debug option and deselect the Direct Play After that, click on the Save Changes option.
Check If Recent Update Is Preventing Plex from Loading
If you have recently updated your Roku device to the 9.0 version, you may find that your Plex application is not loading. In such a case, you can overcome the problem by following the instructions provided below.
- To begin with, you will first need to open the Settings option in your Plex application.
- In the settings section of your app, go to the System>System Update
- Next, you will need to seek if there are any Plex updates available. If available, you will need to update the system by following on-screen prompts.
- Then, you will need to turn off your Roku device and unplug it from the power source.
- After a couple of minutes, you will need to replug the Roku device and turn it on. You can then check if your Plex app issue is resolved or not.
Check Plex Server
Sometimes the problem with your Plex application on Roku can also occur due to server problems. To know how to check your Plex app for this cause, follow the instructions provided below.
- Firstly, you will need to go to the webpage of the server on your Roku device and then go to the Settings
- Next, you will need to select the Server tab located at the top of the page and wait until the Plex server checks for updates. In case there is a Plex update available, you will see a notification for the same.
- If the update is available, you will need to install it and then restart the Plex server.
- Also, you can consider replacing the wireless Plex server connection with a wired connection to see if this helps fix Plex Roku problems.
So, these are the workarounds that you can try when unable to access the Plex application on your Roku device. In most cases, following these solutions should help you overcome the problem.