July 24, 2021 / Activate Guide
YouTube Not Working on Firestick; How to Fix?
Google and Amazon are well known for their rivalry. It seems after holding back against each other for years, both of them have decided to ignore the past and start cooperating. While Amazon has officially begun selling Google hardware, Google has paid back by developing a dedicated YouTube app for the Fire TV system. Although the native YouTube app usually works fine on Amazon Fire TV, some users may face problem with it sometimes. If you are also experiencing trouble playing the YouTube app on your Fire Tv, you can consider the different workarounds provided below.
YouTube Not Working on Amazon Fire TV Stick
There can be different reasons behind the strange behaviour of the YouTube app on Amazon Fire TV. While some issues might be related to the internet connection, others are related to the Fire TV Stick itself. The following workarounds are most likely to help you overcome the problem.
- Check Your Internet Connection
YouTube allows users to stream content of up to 4K resolution. To play such high-quality content requires a stable and extremely fast internet connection. It is therefore suggested to have an internet connection with at least 40 Mbps of speed to stream the videos on YouTube. Other factors that may also impact the internet connection on your Fire TV Stick when:
- Other connected devices are using the same Wi-Fi network to download big size files. This may slow down the internet speed significantly on the Fire Stick.
- There is a thick wall between the router and Fire TV Stick.
- Your ISP is throttling video streams.
- Consider Resetting Router
Sometimes, the actual cause can be the router that you are using to get connected to the Wi-Fi network. In such cases, you may face trouble connecting to the internet on any device including Fire TV.
To overcome this problem, it is suggested to consider resetting your router or upgrading the firmware to the latest version. Then, you can check whether or not YouTube is functioning on Fire TV Stick and playing videos without any kind of lag.
Note: You will need to ensure that your Fire TV Stick is connected to the 5Ghz network instead of 2.4Ghz.
- Try Using Guest Account on YouTube
Sometimes, YouTube may down your account due to unknown reasons. In such a case, you may face trouble playing any YouTube video on your device including Amazon Fire TV.
It is therefore suggested to consider opening the YouTube app and using the Guest Mode to access the service. You can go for the Add account option and add another Google account to your YouTube service.
- Remove Cache
Sometimes, removing the app cache might also help you resolve the issue. To clear the YouTube cache, you can follow the steps provided below:
- Firstly, you will need to launch Amazon Fire TV Stick home and press and hold on to the Home
- Next, you will need to go to the Settings menu and select the Applications
- Then, under the Applications menu, you will need to open the Manage Installed Applications option and scroll down to select the YouTube
- After that, you will simply need to scroll down and press the Clear Cache button from the menu.
- Consider Reinstalling The YouTube App
Another workaround that you can consider to fix the YouTube playback issue on your Fire TV Stick is Reinstalling the YouTube application. To know the reinstallation steps, go through the steps below.
- To begin with, you will first need to open the Fire TV Stick home screen and press and hold the Home
- Next, you will need to go to the Settings menu and go to the Applications
- Then, you will need to open the Manage Installed Applications menu and scroll down to the YouTube
- After that, you will simply need to scroll down and press the Uninstall option from the menu. Then, simply confirm your action and reinstall the app from the Amazon Application Store.
- Consider Restarting the Fire TV Stick
If none of the above-mentioned workarounds help you overcome the YouTube playback error, you can consider Restarting your Fire TV Stick by following the instructions provided below.
- In the first steps, you will need to press and hold the Fire TV Stick Home
- On the next screen, you will need to select the Settings option from the displayed menu.
- Once you are in the Settings section of your Amazon Fire TV stick, you will need to scroll down to the My Fire TV
- Then, you will need to scroll down and press the Restart
- After that you will need to wait until your Amazon Fire TV stick gets restarted. After it gets restarted, you can check if your YouTube application is working properly or not.
So, these are the steps that you will need to follow to fix issues with your YouTube not functioning on your Amazon Fire TV stick.